The world has been saying Thank-you For The Music for over forty years, and now we are all about to get the chance to do it in person. Well, we will be in person, the band will be on stage singing but brought to life in all the glory of their hey-day by the powers of modern technology. Cutting edge digital techniques will create the ABBA avatars who will perform, accompanied by a 10-piece live band, in a custom-built arena at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London.
The four band members have been involved every step of the way. As well as recording an entire new album of material, Benny Andersson, Anni-Frid Lyngstad, Agnetha Fältskog and Björn Ulvaeus also went into film studies to motion-capture their signature moves, which will then be recreated digitally as their avatars.
The new show will mainly feature the band’s greatest hits, plus some fan favourites – and two of the brand new tracks. Only the songs I Still Have Faith In You and Don’t Shut Me Down will be part of the ABBA Voyage concert because they were the first to be finished with time to then motion capture the band singing them.
So, are you ready to take our ABBA lyrics quiz? Complete each of the famous lines for one point and win bonus points each time for naming the song.
1. “Where are those happy days, they seem so hard to find? I tried to reach for you, but you have closed your mind.” – from S.O.S
2. “In my dreams I have a plan, If I got me a wealthy man, I wouldn’t have to work at all, I’d fool around and have a ball.” – from Money, Money, Money
3. “And here we go again, we know the start, we know the end, Masters of the scene.” – from Voulez-Vous
4. “I feel a kind of fear, When I don’t have you near, Unsatisfied, I skip my pride, I beg you, dear…” – from Lay Your Love on Me
5. “There’s not a soul out there, No one to hear my prayer.” – from Gimme, Gimme, Gimme
6. “My, my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger. Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight.” – from Waterloo
7. “Just one look and I can hear a bell ring. One more look and I forget everything, woah, woah.” – from Mamma Mia
8. “Anybody could be that guy, Night is young and the music’s high. With a bit of rock music, everything is fine, You’re in the mood for a dance.” – from Dancing Queen
9. “Breaking up is never easy, I know but I have to go. Knowing me, knowing you, It’s the best I can do.” – from Knowing Me, Knowing You
10. “If you see the wonder of a fairy tale, You can take the future even if you fail.” – from I Have a Dream
11. “The gods may throw a dice, Their minds as cold as ice, And someone way down her,/Loses someone dear.” – from The Winner Takes it All
12. “Who can live without it? I ask in all honesty. What would life be? Without a song or a dance what are we?” – from Thank You For the Music